Monday, November 15, 2010

Acrylic Paint Transfers

Acrylic Paint Transfers




Step 1/ Choose a photocopy must be a laser print to work with this method.

Step 2/ I like to look at the photocopy and decide if I would like to use some
molding past for some texture as I did in the above piece. Apply the molding paste
and let dry.

Step 3/ I like to pick a background color that I like in the photocopy. I use the color to cover my
canvas. When dry I proceed.

Step 4/ I usually use the same color applied like butter to the front of the photocopy. Place this
onto your canvas and press into place. Then use the back of a spoon or something firm
to smooth out any wrinkles or air from under your photocopy.

Step 5/ The hardest part. Let dry. I like to let it dry over night. You can use a dryer, but I like
to just wait. This would be a good time to do a few at a time. letting them all dry over night.

Step 6/ Get a small pan of warm water and using your finger tips in a rubbing motion remove
the paper. You may need a cotton cloth to brush away the paper and reapply some
more water till all paper is gone. It is ok if some of your print doesn't transfer. With
paint you can go over areas you want to accent and blend as I did out onto your canvas.
This makes your transfer look more like a finished piece and the edges not so noticeable of
your photocopy.

I hope you will give this a try and let me see what you all do. You are all such talented
artist I will be looking forward to your finished pieces.

You may notice some like white spots where maybe the photocopy did not completely
transfer. I felt it gave this piece an old world look and was not concerned. I like to use
a brown shoe polish to rub with a cloth over the areas and then the entire piece. This
gives the finished piece a warmth and ages it a bit

1 comment: